RE: Junk - off-topic - solution

For what it's worth, there do exist others that are less annoying than what
you are describing, such as Earthlink, and there are other freebies (I
gather) that have some of these qualities.  Earthlink, at least, does work
well nationally and beyond--I've done it. AOL was noted in our local
newspaper as being the lowest tech/most primitive of the bunch.

                David