Re: URGENT--features for "XyWrite 5," replies needed

Harry,

This is an interesting proposition. When buying custom programming
services, it is paramount to clearly specify what we want and what the
deliverables should be.

Your list is impressive, but somehow I am not thrilled. It all boils
down to the nitty-gritty of file format and compatibility details.

1. Word processing engine and interface (a stripped down Windows NB or
more like a rewamped XyWrite 4?), memory handling, file handling/size
limitations, supported file formats for load/save, etc.

2. Character encoding support (Unicode/Windows/DOS)

3. Used subset of XyWrite command primitives (Xy4 vs. Win NB)

4. XPL programming interface (perhaps a line-oriented source code format
for easier readability)

I am not sure about the financing model. If the project ends in
something useful, I am willing to buy the product, who wouldn't? I would
suggest that the financing model be kept as simple as possible. Les bons
comptes font les bon amis. NB has many special insider finance programs
already, so it would seem possible to make one for "XyWrite 5" with
equal basic contributions and perhaps a gold membership for some willing
to contribute a more sizable amount.

Is resurrecting XyWrite really possible? If it is, then the next
question is what is the target group to make it a viable product on the
crowded software market? It could be a back-end program for publishing,
but that would need serious effort and integration with modern-day
publishing systems. It could be legal and administrative document
handling. A foray into the general word processing market is not what I
would recommend.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)