Off topic (Win2K stability)

I would like to comment the generally accepted stability of Win2K, now
that I am using it with XyWrite after Service Pack 4. In fact, this is
now my main working area. But, yesterday, Win2K (SP4) refused to start
claiming that "ntoskrnl.exe" was damaged or not found. Then I attempted
to start the recovery console and it apparently started but, curiously,
without authentication and then I was unable to access the WINNT
directoy and its subdirectories (access denied). Using the LOGON command
was unsuccessful. Probably the whole thing was related to my multiboot
disk (Win98SE, WIN2K, Linux and data partitions living together). I
spent a lot of time copying data to a different partition and fighting
with different starting possibilities, installation disk, CD, attempts
to restore the damaged file from Linux, etc. without any success. After
hours of useless efforts, I solved the problem via my ERD (this makes me
think that the message about ntoskrnl.exe was confusing). I have heard
of similar problems in other systems. And if repairing a W98SE
installation is relatively easy, W2000K is a lot more complicated.