Re: Saving FE as FE

Strange that they switched the roles of 253 and 254 between Xy3 and Xy4.

254 is currently hard-coded as an exception in my program; generalizing
the program to allow more than one byte on the left of a substitution
seems too much work at this point.

In working with the substitutions, I had learned a bit about the way
that Xy handles various characters, but your CTRLCHAR.TXT document is
highly illuminating---thanks!

Martin

Robert Holmgren wrote:

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne" on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:50:06 -0400
in Xy3, if you enter ASCII 254, that's exactly what you get in the file---a 1-byte 254.
Yes, you're right; I was thinking that 254 controlled the screen display in Xy3, but actually it was 253 -- 254 was a normal char (in Xy4, 253 is normal, and 254 is a control char -- the opposite -- hey, it's been 15 years since I wrote anything in Xy3). Anyway, does your external substitution prog accept more than one byte on the left (source$) side?
-- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne +1 416-978-5094 Have you seen http://econtheory.org