Re: Hi

On Wed, 16 Nov 1994, James D. Besser wrote:

> > No, no, NO, I don't use Windows. Ever. Never. I'm using Xy under DOS, but >
thinking about OS/2, if Marv Katz ever gets his working right; I figure > my
tech abilities are probably somewhere around his.
> Jim Besser:
I've wrestled with what to say in a note to you regarding my experience with
OS/2. I have it working reasonably well--after nearly two weeks of installing,
reinstalling and tweaking--and I like it reasonably well. The major problem is
that it is NOT fast, but on the other hand, I'm running it on a 16Mz 386SX.

It comes with Faxworks Lite, which produces marvelously clear documents from
incoming faxes. But I have been unable to produce an outgoing fax from
XyWrite, though the package claims Faxworks will do that from DOS programs.
The on-line help (there's no manual) explains clearly how to load a printer
driver using LPT3 and how to configure the Faxworks print module. But there's
no explanation of what to do when documents don't get from one to the other,
and magic isn't working.

I also have been unable to get my DOS AOL program to work under OS/2; it claims
to be unable to find my modem. And Xywrite is unable to find its dictionary so
it can spell check; it has been suggested that I put the Xywrite subdirectory
in the OS/2 AUTOEXEC.BAT's PATH statement. I just did that and haven't
rebooted to OS/2 to check out the results.

On the other hand, I've read NUMEROUS on-line messages in various OS/2 forums
from people who have had absolutely no problems installing OS/2, and have DOS,
Windows and OS/2 programs all running flawlessly under it.

Go figure. If you'd like to discuss this further, my phone number is 340-7509;
same area code as yours.

-- Marv Katz