Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

2) Also just for general curiosity, are any of you few Linux users running Xy-4 under it ?  And how has that gone ?  This probably would have been discussed on the list before, but I don't recall it.  The new 64-bit NB _may_ run under Linux and the Mac (the Mac OS itself being a variant of Linux, well under the hood), but I don't think a timetable for that was announced.

I hesitate to answer this, Jordan, only because I think (or thought) most Xy users here have grown weary of me saying it, but Xy-4 works superbly under Linux (Ubuntu in my case). For a time I had a problem with Xy hanging when I had lots of big files open and returned to it after several hours away, but assiduous experiments in tweaking the extensive array of dosemu settings cured that. the only real drawback wrt Xy I can think of is that as far I know Tame will not work.

add to that that using Linux is a continual joy for the curious, and liberating for those who have grown exasperated with costly proprietary systems which demand you do things their way instead of freeing you to do things -- like run DOS programs -- the way you want to, and you wind up with  an extraordinarily productive, elegant and satisfying experience in using your personal computer. there is a steep learning curve for the first couple of days, but once your system is in place, you will have, for free, a state-of-the-art system that works just as you want it to, which costs you nothing, which has proven immune to viruses, bot schemes, and criminally simple cracking. for those who are 1) not bound to particular bought-software packages and 2) somewhat curious technically and eager to learn, Linux is a wonder, and runs XyWrite immaculately.

-rafe