Re: "Kerning?" and Postscript / Ghostscript virtuality

" ≪ Can I get any old H-P PCL laser printer to print with a PostScript
" "interpreter"? ≫
"
" Why the quotes? PS is an interpreted language. Without an interpreter
" all you've got is source code (usually generated by a PS driver).
"
" ≪ Since my printer is not natively a PS printer, what XyWrite
" printer file do I use? ≫
"
" The most generic PostScript driver, usually a LaserWriter PS driver.
" If your printer has no PS chip, the software interpreter negotiates
" with the printer with another driver. Software interpreters have
" drivers for all popular printers--laser, inkjet, or dm.
"
" ≪ What about speed? Will I get the high speed (8-16 ppm) of a PCL
" printer? ≫
	Speed? If you use a good spooler, os/2 etc. the Ghostscript
	or Goscript, (a commercial interpreter) goes away and
	does its thing and you carry on in XY. Printing becomes
	a background activity as it should be.

	tyf-ing to a PS printer (virtual file in this case) can
	be assigned to a key. F6=Go and print in PS, to file, pick
	up GS and run standard output.

	One value of Ghostscript output is that you never have to
	worry about printer drivers again--Ghostscript (for DOS,
	OS2, WIN, Unix) run most dotmatrix (yeah!), pcl deskjets,
	bubblejets, laserjets etc in a graphic mode to do the prettiest
	printing. See the sample files in Ghostscript archives zips.
	The infamous TIGER.PS is a graphic entirely writtin in
	Postscript ["300, -300 ear draw; fuzzy fur fill... ]

"
" PS's strength is quality, not speed, but with a software interpreter
" in a fast PC you shouldn't suffer a bad performance hit.
"
" ≪ PCL isn't too bad, you know, if all you're doing is typing out
" monospaced texts... ≫
"
" No reason to use PS in that situation. The issue was letterspacing.
"
" ≪ Is it automatic? Press a button in XyWrite and finished --
" or do I need to open the interpreter and do some additional procedure? ≫
"
" After you get it set up the way you want it, yes. How fancy you
" want to make the setup is up to you. Can use it out of the box
"