Re: Non-XyW: WD-40 & counterparts (was: re Northgate keyboards)

On 10 Jan 01, at 13:19, Jane Van Tassel wrote:

> And Daniel Say  raised other useful points:
> >Which immediately brings to mind K-Y jelly.
> >    What about graphite?
>
> No, I don't have electronic applications in mind. I simply need a
> household lubricant (two of the numerous specific applications would be
> unjamming yale-lock keyholes and smoothing the operation of very heavy
> sliding patio doors, of which my very un-English house has about half a
> dozen). WD-40 leaves an oily residue that leaves marks on anything in
> touches; I presume the same would be true of graphite, however applied.
> K-Y jelly is an intriguing suggestion, but I assume it would collect dust
> and debris, the accumulation of which is what makes WD-40 unsatisfactory
> for the sliding doors.

I have a small bottle of Viro Just-a-Puf.

Viro is a brand of padlock that is sold here a lot,

The blurb says:

"Viro Just-a-Puf" is a special dry lubricant developed for all types of lock
cylinders where oil and grease may not be used as they attract dirt and dust
and generally clog up the very sensitive pins and springs. Viro Just-a-Puf is
also an ideal dry lubricant for all areas where liquid lubrication is not
suitable, e.g. caters, drawer runners, toys and electrical apparatus."

It is "super refined graphite".

I bought it in a hardware shop, but it (or similar products) should be
available from supermarkets or from locksmiths. I haven't tried it on
keyboards, but maybe the "electrical apparatus" in the blurb indicates that
it would se suitable for that.

> Renewed apologies for taking up everyone's time on this.
>
> Cheers
> Eric Van Tassel
>
> e-mail: EricVT@xxxxxxxx

Keep well,