Re: Startup in NB70.b

Thank you. I probably should have done some looking up, before popping off.
My unabridged Random House Dictionary of The English Language (roughly a cubic foot of book) recognized "jerry build" and "jerry built" as "built cheaply and flimsily" or words to that effect.
"Jerry," on the other hand, all by itself, is slang for "chamber pot" or
"jeroboam." That seems a little distressing: a chamber pot of champaign,
for example?
"Jury mast," "jury rig" and "jury rigged" are all -- quite as I recollected
-- strictly nautical, but they don't have to refer to spars and
rigging. You can jury rig a rudder or a bilge pump. Probably not a meal,
or a second mate, though.

Writing from the mid-west I don't often have a chance to say:

Ahoy, mates!

--Bob Kubie

At 08:10 PM 2/21/2004, Carl Distefano wrote:
Reply to note from "Robert H. Kubie"  Sat, 21
Feb 2004 16:56:21 -0600

> The word is not "jerry rig." It is "jury rig."

Yes. The American Heritage Dictionary (4th ed.) recognizes jerry-
rig as an "alteration" of jury-rig, "influenced by" jerry-build (to
build from shoddy or flimsy materials).

Apparently jury- and jerry- have different origins. At least, the
OED doesn't seem to draw a connection:

OED, 2d ed. (jerry-builder):
Origin not ascertained. That jerry-builder and jerry-built
originated in some way from the name Jerry is probable; but the
statement made in a letter to the newspapers in Jan. 1884, that they
commemorate the name of a building firm on the Mersey, has on
investigation not been confirmed. The earliest example yet found is
that of jerry-built 1869.

OED, 2d ed. (jury-mast):
Origin unknown. App. either a corruption of some earlier name, or a
jocular appellation invented by sailors. For the suggestion that it
may have been short for injury-mast, no supporting evidence has been
found.

Compare American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed:
>From jury-rig, jury-rigging, improvised rigging on a ship, modeled
on jury-mast, temporary mast, perhaps ultimately from Old French
ajurie, help, from aider, to help. See aid.

Aid: Middle English aiden, from Old French aider, from Latin
adiutare, frequentative of adiuvare, to help...

Unrelated (?) to the jury that swears (jurare) to render a lawful
verdict.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx