Re: a PDF of the Xy4 Manuals

** Reply to message from "Brian Henderson"  on Fri, 28
Oct 2005 18:10:37 -0700

Wouldn't it be nice if a copy of the original Manual *texts*, from which the
printed manuals were typeset, wound up in somebody's Email Inbox? Then we
could make a *text-based* PDF, in which words could actually be *searched*! A
PDF made from graphic images is a pretty sad thing, only better than the book
insofar as it is portable; and performing OCR on these printed manuals, as
Brian appears to be doing (judging from the three or four sample pages in
CUSTOM.ZIP), is exceedingly laborious (albeit meritorious!). If I had the
text, I could make a PDF out of it in less time than it takes to write this
message. It would look just like the manual, too. Surely somebody has these
files stashed away...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx