From: Irene Silverman [mailto:irene@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 3:39 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: the ink stained wretch question?

----- Original Message -----
Subject: didn't someone already answer the ink stained wretch question?

No one has pinned this down yet. I gave up on the Web yesterday and dug out my old senior thesis circa 1960 on Dr. Johnson. He defined "lexicographer" in his Dictionary as "a harmless drudge," not an ink-stained wretch. Curses.
I will try e-mailing William Safire and the Spectator as per Bill Troop's suggestion.
Irene