typing in shorthand & Spl

from Morris Krok
  essence@xxxxxxxx

Tim Baehr asked how can abbreviations be expanded with the press of one key.
Now what I am attaching her is program written in xy4 that allows you do
just that. In addition to expanding abbreviations, it capitalizes the first
letter of a sentence and automatically puts the spaces after the , . ; and
: . This program, in other words, allows one to type in shorthand without
using the space bar. In place of the space bar "/", the forward slash is
used to separate the abbreviations. In order to execute this program, "#",
this is the first character that has to be typed. By using /, it is a quite
rapid , silent way to input data. Here is an example of what the program
does.
#nw/z/t/ti/f/all/gd/m/men/to/cm/to/t/aid/v/t/poor.it/z/t/lig/we/r/seeking.
  after pressing the appropriate key it will be rendered thus:

"Now is the time for all good many men to come to the aid of the poor. It is
the light we are seeking."

  I found this program useful when inputting data into a palm held
computer such as the Psion. After typing in shorthand into this computer,
the file is sent to the desktop into the Xywrite directory where the
abbreviations are expanded and the relative spaces placed after the
punctuation marks. A palm held is a small computer which is useful when out
traveling or typing in bed. This program can be so programmed that one needs
not use the enter key or caps lock and as I said before the space bar. For
it to be effective, an abbreviation spl file must be loaded into memory,
such as the one I use Shthand.spl.

  Although one can expand abbreviations as we type, it at least shows the
innovative far-reaching power that is contained in XPL.