Re: Enhance, pkunzip & 4.017 crash

For GOCH, Nathan, and the rest:
Just to confirm your experiences -- the ZIP routines in the Enhance add-on
are just a shell into DOS. There is an intermediate step of writing a batch
file, executing it, and deleting it, but that's also just a shell. If there
are memory problems, they are, as Nathan pointed out, most likely related to
Xy4's problems with memory management. I usually run the unzip routines at
the beginning of a session, so I've never run into problems (home=8 meg, Win
3.1, about 553K free before Xy4 in a DOS box; office=32 meg, NT3.51). NT can
cause problems of its own, especially when asking for the detailed list of
ZIPfile contents. An error message comes up from NT (I don't recall what it
says), and I just hit "ignore" and things proceed normally.

(In XYIII+ you could give an "unload 0" command, which would unload all the
overlays in memory and reload them as they were invoked. I don't think that
works in Xy4. Kenny, if you're still reading this stuff, you could ask Dave
E. and get back to us.)

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx