Re: retaining 3+ formatting during printing

Reply to note from Alison Tartt
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:15:39 -0500

-> When I give my 3+ files to publishers that have 4.0, their
-> printouts override my formatting (left margin too wide,
-> footnotes appear on a subsequent page, etc.). ... Is there
-> anything I can do so that my files will print out as they do on
-> my printer? Or what instructions should I give the publisher?

At a minimum, your publisher will have to set horizontal units of
measurement to Deci-Inches (command D UH=DI,DI), and vertical units
to LInes (D UV=LI,LI), as these settings are invariable in Xy3.
Also, for the same reason, default RT (Relative Tabs) should be set
to 0.

At your end, stick to a font that corresponds to your publisher's
Xy4 default (usually, 12-pt. monospaced Courier). And use Style
(SS|US) commands to set Top, Bottom, OFfset, Form Depth, Page Width
and Footnote Transition settings, to maximize your documents'
portability.

Let us know if this helps (or doesn't).

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx