Spanish vowels and accent table

As anyone on this list could read in the past, I use ansified XyWrite
and I go back to standard XyWrite only for testing purposes or
occasional tasks. Lately, I am helping an Spanish Xy3 user to migrate to
Xy4 and I have been preparing a standard Xy4 setup for him (obviously,
upgraded with U2, PostGhost, Stack, etc.).
So I have found a curious problem due to a misconfiguration on my part
(and my lack of memory). XySearch is still unavailable and I can refresh
my knowledge about this point. So, I would be very grateful if someone
could help me.
The default spelling dictionnary I am using is the PCLex Spanish one
(ESPANA.DIC). In Spanish texts acute vowels are very common and they are
produced using S1 "dead" accent assigned to a key (it's also possible
but slower to use the menus: Insert/Accent). But, if I attempt to verify
a text written this way, XyWrite apparently reads acute vowels as
separators. For example: "automático" is read as "autom" by the speller
and it ignores the remaining letters. No problem with n tilde (lowercase
or uppercase).
What's more: if I see a text with acute vowels in an hexadecimal editor,
the values are wrong (for example: acute a is FE 2E 02) —with the
exception of acute e— and the file is exported with mistakes in those
characters to other wordprocessing formats. I only get the right
characters if I use Ctrl+Alt+Character number.
The only solution is to install an accent table (the one written by
Robert Holmgren, ACCENTS.PRN). No more problem. The speller works OK and
the acute vowels are correctly codified (acute a is A0). But XyWrite
Customization Guide (C–3 page) states that the program includes a
built–in accent table and it's not very clear about whether it's
necessary or not to create an Accent table to be able to write accented
vowels properly encoded.
I have a vague idea of dealing with this issue in the past and of having
received confirmation of the need to have an accent table to manage
Spanish vowels properly. In ansified XyWrite the standard ACCENTS.PRN is
not used anymore and I manage the spelling in a very different way: I
have to convert my texts to standard XyWrite (via Robert Holmgren's
ANSI2XY utility) and they are perfectly codified when I run the speller.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao