Re: Xy'd NB -- FLV Video Capture and Player

** Reply to message from J R FOX  on Tue, 4
Mar 2008 09:39:19 -0800 (PST)

> Unless I am missing something (in the early going),
> the "FLV grab" function of the full version seems to
> be site specific.

Correct. YouTube only. And only because they go to such
lengths to encrypt/hide the actual download URL.

A very good generic app for grabbing any video URL is the packet
sniffer "URLSnooper" (which is a hassle to get hold of -- they
give you a 6-month license, then another 6-month license, then
after one full year an unlimited license -- but it's worth the
trouble:
 http://www.donationcoder.com/index.php

Another route, if you use Firefox, is to view the "generated"
source code: most sites reveal the actual URL to the Flash
Video (FLV) file (but not YouTube!).

> That is no big deal, because
> Youtube is the 800 pound gorilla these days, and so
> much of that content is naturally going to flow there.

I think that's basically accurate. Most of the stuff I see on
other sites, like Yahoo, seems to be available also on YouTube.
YouTube has amazing content (amid a lot of trash, to be sure).
If you want to see why musicians were knocked out by Callas
singing Kundry (Wagner/Parsifal) when _she_ was a 200 pound
gorilla (pre-1950 weight loss), YT is the place to go. The
problem is, clips come and go unpredictably. Some stick for a
year or more, others disappear very quickly. If you see
something, grab it. Some of Ernie Kovacs' "Dutch Masters" cigar
commercials, for example.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx