Re: TYP and newer printers

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Sat, 06 Mar 2010 15:42:48 -0500

> This could be one of those things where Ghostscript is determined
> to go in c:\Program Files--where I don't want to put it, because
> Xy has problems with that directory (a long while ago, someone
> posted an explanation: IIRC, it was that C:\Program Files is
> actually 2 directories, one inside the other, and both named
> Program Files. Which naturally throw Xy--and any other DOS app--a
> curve).

Nonsense. The archive bit may be set on that directory and
subdirs, which prevents XyWrite from reading it -- out of the
box, a lot of things on C: are inaccessible to Xy4 because of
that bloody archive bit. (Years ago I wrote and discussed here
a BATch file that stripped that damn bit off every directory in
any drive -- can't remember the filename offhand, DArchBit.CMD
or something like that for NT, and DArchBit.BAT for 9x. You ran
that program, and then you never had that problem again, ever --
if you understand the implications of un-hiding files and dirs
that the operating system thinks should be hidden from the
common man -- when you do this, you go a long way toward
operating as what Unix would call "root", the superuser with
limitless power. And as any *nix person will tell you, you
should never run as root. But I gotta admit, in 35 years I've
never run as anything BUT root!)

Here's the real point (lest we digress): it ain't XyWrite
that's accessing the C: drive, it's a DOS BATch file -- and DOS
does not experience this problem, only ancient outdated defunct
out-to-pasture apps like Xy4 do. The only thing Xy4 did was
write FO.PS to D:\XY4, as well as the temporary BATch file.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx