Re: xy 4.018 and counter

  Patricia...

  Just a quick reply to your first issue. Have a look at your
  STARTUP file and/or your SETTINGS file. I think that you will
  see a line there that relates to this issue. If it's in the
  STARTUP file, change the numbers to something more appropriate,
  and they will become the default. Alternatively, if all you
  want to do is experiment, go to Advanced, Preferences, Defaults,
  and Type Style. What numbers do you see there. They should
  be the same numbers as in your STARTUP file, ...I think. If I
  am wrong, Robert will correct me.

  I have discovered something interesting in this connection. It
  is this: If I start XY4 from with a DOS window, my numbers are
  those that I have set, namely 60,60,45. If I start XY4 from a
  Windows icon, the numbers are 57,55,7. I don't know where these
  numbers are coming from. Go figure. Do you also see a difference
  depending on how you start up XY4?

  Concerning linking the text file with the endnotes file, I let
  XY4's Import feature do that. In the case at hand, because I
  did not want to burden you with the whole article I am writing,
  I brought together a section from the beginning of the text part
  with a section from the beginning of the endnotes part, which
  included the code at the top of the endnotes part.

  You seem to imply that there is a more appropriate way of handling
  notes (footnotes and endnotes), yet, when I asked how best to
  do this a few months back, the general consensus seemed to be to
  create two files, one for text and another for notes. At the
  time I was running into problems because I had too many footnotes,
  you may recall. Are you now saying that this problem can be remedied
  differently? I would like to be able to run with only one file,
  if that were possible. What I am doing at the moment is I run
  with footnotes till I encounter a problem, which usually occurs
  when I get around 24  footnotes. I then extract the footnotes,
  and begin using counter numbers in both the text and the notes files.
  I suppose I could use two files from the start, but that would re-
  quire that I develop a different work habit. Finally, I know what
  you mean when you speak of note numbers being out of sync, but this
  has not been a problem for me, ...so far.

  M.W. Poirier

-----