Re: U2 glitches

cldistefano@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Are you CAlling XYWWWEB.INF manually or are you using
> Help or Index?

>And when you speak of "Formatted View", do you mean the view that shows page breaks visually with a horizontal rule?

Yes, and displays the page number in the status bar.

> What value of default DT do you set in SETTINGS.DFL?

DT=1, or draft. To get formatted I hit alt+v, then F after
the file is already onscreen.

I should point out that the glitch occurs in both Draft and
Formatted, with the only difference being that ctrl+end will
get the error message in Formatted but not in Draft.

Just for the hell of it, I just tried to replicate the
glitch by scrolling at top speed through the file in
Expanded--nothing happened, everything seems fine.

Other possible clue(?): Doing these experiments causes the
creation of those files with junk titles in my \xy4
directory. These particular files are in Excel. One of the
current ones seems to contain snippets of a dictionary.
Calling the other 4 results in an Excel box saying:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be
shut down.
"Details: Excel caused an invalid page fault in Module
Excel.exe at 015f:30125e20," following by register, byte and
stack dump numbers; the 015f number is the same in the error
messages resulting from trying to open all four errored junk
files.

I'm pretty sure that one of the junk files created on Sunday
had a chunk of Xywwweb.inf in it. The file is probably
still in trash. Do you want me to try to reinstall it in the
\xy4 directory and open it?

> If you must call the file manually, use CA/9 XYWWWEB.INF to force the file to display in Draft View.

Just tried this for the hell of it, and still get the error
message and the shutdown.

------------------------------------------------------------------->
> As for your Alt-Tab problem, one obvious thing to try is to undo the Helpkey assignment to Alt.

Awwwwwww!

> Have you made any other changes to .KBD file since the problem appeared?

No, but I haven't done anything with the "Keyboard-File
Usage" section of the instructions yet either. Could that be
it?

What I find utterly mysterious is that the alt key I kept
the factory assignment on also fails in alt+tab to toggle me
betwwen Xy and Windows.

The toggle still works between, say, Excel and email,
however.

> Keep us posted.

Will do, and thanks.

Judith Davidsen