Re: 7 vs 8.1

Bill,

I really don't want to disagree with Kari, who provides us with so much good info here, but my take is that it depends.  You might need an unusually powerful laptop to do a VM well.  VMs do impose enough of an overhead to noticeably degrade performance.  Routine operations will slow down.  The rule of thumb for avoiding or minimizing this used to be at least 8 Gigs of RAM and a fast processor.  (A 5400 speed HDD on a laptop won't cut it, either.)  However, I'm hearing that some of today's laptops have gone over to SSDs, rather than the older style laptop hardrives ?  That should help.  If your laptop is not up to the challenge, Win 8.1 might indeed be the more appropriate answer **for you. **

   Jordan

From: Bill Troop
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:32 AM
Subject: Re: 7 vs 8.1

This is where one needs a virtual machine, just tick the X and the virtual machine is killed.

Ah. So, for example, I could configure a Win 7 VM that was dedicated solely to browsers and could thereby entirely be insulated from the incredibly invasive problems of Flash code?

That looks very interesting, I didn't know anything about it. I have been using with mixed success a version of Opera based on chrome but that is the limit of my experience.

Since browsers probably account for 90% of my problems, your suggested solution of VM-ing them is appealing.