Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Yes, there is no point in making existing XPL pgm's obsolete.

In an earlier email I wondered aloud whether it would be possible to write an XPL interpreter that would read XPL and feed functionally equivalent output to a widely-available (perhaps even open source) text editor.  So XPL code would then make this other editor do things to text that the XPL made XyWrite do.

But this is impossible without simply programming a Xy clone from the ground up.  I get the impression that a lot of editors out there use character and screen manipulation routines provided by widely-used libraries from Microsoft, Apple or other tall people. Those libraries may not provide the low-level access or control that XPL has to Editor.exe, and so XPL's way of doing many things may not map neatly onto these other libraries.

Myron