File Management in Xy

XyWrite is indeed anemic in comparison to competitors like Word
Perfect when it comes to file management. In the Windows
environment the lack is perhaps less keenly felt, with the
availability of File Manager (in Win 3+) and Explorer (in Win95).
 XyDOS users, on the other hand, are left to their own devices.
My personal choice is a shareware utility called VALET. It's
small (under 30K), stable and simple, and runs nicely via a DO
command under Xy III+ or 4. A fairly comprehensive menu of basic
and advanced operations -- launched via mnemonic, alphabetic
commands -- can be applied to a single highlighted file or a
tagged set of files. The basic commands are thus (the following
information is extracted from the VALET Help screen):

------- Cut --------------------------
A - Attrib - Set file attibutes
B - Backup - Copy all files by date  C - Copy  - Copy one or
tagged files
D - Dirs  - Display tree directory
E - Edit  - Edit current file
F - Files - Set file mask
G - Go   - Jump to file
H - Help  - Display this file
I - Info  - Display [file] information
J - Jump  - Jump to drive/directory
K - Kill  - Delete tagged files
L - List  - Browse current file
M - Move  - Move directory entry
N - New  - Change to new drive
O - Option - Display/Change [setup] options
P - Print - Print tagged files
Q - Quit  - Exit to start directory
R - Rename - Change name of current file
S - Space - Display free space on drive or with archive bit set
T - Tag  - Tag all files
U - Untag - Untag all files
V - View  - Display hex dump of file
W - Where - Locate file(s)
X - X-dos - Execute one DOS command
Y - Y-arc - Display ARC file contents
Z - Zap  - Edit current file in hex
BACKSPACE - Change to parent directory
ENTER - Execute or change directory
ESC  - Exit to current directory
SPACE - Toggle single file tag

Copyright (c) 1988 John A. Junod All Rights Reserved
Shareware. To register, send $15 and the version number of this
program to:
The CenterPost Group
Suite 111-189
15 Churchville Road
Belair Maryland 21014 ------- Cut --------------------------

A couple of years ago I wrote John Junod to find out whether he
has updated the program since 1988, but received no reply. So I
assume that it has not been updated. Presumably, though, the
usual etiquette regarding registration of shareware still
applies. In any case, it's a lean, reliable, and versatile
utility. I posted it to the TTG board several years ago, and can
do the same here if anyone is interested.

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx