Re[2]: Wildcard error message

I suspect the filter just translated into XyWrite-ese the mess which
is a file saved by MS Word. If you want to see something really
appalling, take a decent-sized Word file and save it as an HTML file
-- it will produce something quite similar, and guaranteed to take at
least three times as long to download as a well-ordered HTML file
would.

I've had the same effect with footnotes dumped at the end when
converting Word files to various other things -- I suspect Word, and
not your author.

On 20.1.2003, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
> I ran your very useful DREF program to get rid of SOME of the redundant
codes, cleaned out a few others from the command line (e.g., all resets
of tab stops and ≪PTN≫ commands) and ran MODEFIX, as I named your
program. I got the same error message, BUT the command executed and did
the changes! I then added two additional lines to fix the
≪MDSU≫≪WN≫≪MDNM≫ (for footnote numbers; the author did not use
M$Works footnote capability, if it has one, so I must now get all her
notes, which are simply text at the end, into note form), ran that, and
had no problems. Weird!
    Has anyone any idea of what causes this awful plethora of duplicative
codes? Is it just the bloated overkill of Word and WordImPerfect, the
fact that people don't use their software correctly, or an artifact of
the conversion filters? Or, probably, all three together? Anyway, thanks
very much for your help.
Patricia