Re: OT: Missing Bookmarks

--- On Tue, 1/13/09, Neville  wrote:

> From: Neville
> Subject: Re: OT: Missing Bookmarks
> To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 2:14 PM
> FF ver 3.x Bookmarks are no longer *directly* backward
> compatible with
> Ver 2x.  You can export them out of version 3 in a form
> that is usable
> in Ver 2.x
>
> I'm using 3.1b2 which is later than you have. In that
> if you go View
> Sidebar bookmarks/history you will find them in the form
> you always had
> under 2.x  Click on unsorted Bookmarks, and they will be
> at the bottom
> as the last ones you added.  BTW it took me a while to
> discover this as
> bookmarks were the most frustrating thing about the new
> version. Once
> you get used to the new way it's fine.
>
> If you go back to the folder that FF Ver 2 was in (varies
> as to
> Operating system) search for bookmarks.* in Ztree you will
> see a number
> of bookmark backup files.  Once you get used to 3 yo will
> never go back
> to Ver2.  Advise upgrading to 3.1b2.
>
> You should also download and install noscript
> http://noscript.net/?ver=1.8.8.8&prev=1.8.8.5
>
> Cheers
> Nev

Thanks very much for your reply, Neville. It seems like I found most of the (initial) answers on
these pages:

http://www.lytebyte.com/2008/06/19/understanding-how-and-where-firefox-3-bookmarks-are-saved/

http://www.lytebyte.com/2008/06/19/how-to-auto-export-firefox-3-bookmarks-to-bookmarkshtml/

However, if you read through the User Comments, a majority of them are *extremely negative.* I will
need to be convinced otherwise, lest I join that number. I'm basically in the "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it" camp. I'm still digging through the pile of possibly relevant extensions.
 There's an SQLite manager, and several others. (For the uninitiated, FireFox Extensions or Add-Ons
are analogous to our U2 library from Robert and Carl, adding functionality to the program that was
never envisioned by the original developers.) But we shouldn't have to hack the app nine ways from
Sunday, just to regain what we enjoyed before.

I'm willing for FF-3 to show me otherwise, but I don't want the changes it may impose on us to get
in the way of how I like to work, or am accustomed to working, which I've considered to be pretty
convenient and efficient.

 Jordan

P.S.: I've been using the NoScript extension for the last 8 months. It is mostly very good,
occasionally a bit annoying, but you can circumvent it when it gets in your way.