Re: installation problem

I too am interested in installing XyWin into Win98. I tried doing it the
smart-aleck way, and am tantalizingly close to success. I'd be grateful
for the final tip that gets me there.

What I did was simply to copy the whole of XyWin from the old hard drive
onto a PD disc, and then to copy back onto the new one. What was on c:\xw\
(and below) is now on c:\2nd\win\ (and below); I went into XWSET.DFL and
XWSTART.INT with a text editor and made the appropriate changes.

I noticed one oddity at the time.

  ; Location of SCRFONTS.BIN
  DF XY=d:\BTFONTS\

but my backup of d:\btfonts\ lacked any SCRFONTS.BIN. (Is it a hidden
file, which I therefore omitted to back up?) Well, I'm not worried: I
presume that either SCRFONTS.BIN is unnecessary or that it will be on
another computer of mine (elsewhere) that's happily running XyWin.

But more irritatingly, though I only want to use XyWin with Windoze printer
drivers -- after all, why else bother with XyWin? -- when I start up the
program it objects:

  Bad printer driver DLL.

and then

  Windows driver problem. Use XYWRITE driver.

Under Win95, XyWin created, or inscribed itself into, a mysterious file in
the 'Doze directory called TRAY.INI. My Win98 lacks this; adding it seems
to do nothing. Hmm.
Peter Evans