VirtualBox to the latest, 4.10, and still have the same problem. Xy4 will
not provide a directory of the host drive, though if I just execute the
DOS command from Xy4, the host drive is perfectly visible.

At 15/04/2014 20:24, you wrote:
Another possible factor here is that it is said to be much more difficult to activate XP in VMWare (perhaps made worse by the MS end of support for XP) than it is to do this in VirtualBox.  According to something I was reading recently, the hacks for doing this in the latter are much more accessible.  Based on what's been discussed in this thread, W2K won't incur such issues.

   Jordan

From: Bill Troop
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: I need a new desktop computer -- Recommendations?

That's interesting, Kari, I didn't know you were using VMware for XP. May I ask whether your VBox/W2K setup allows XyWrite to access the host drive by letter? Its inability to do this when I was using was what caused me to switch to VMware. (i.e., say your host drive, or a folder on your host drive, has been assigned by Z:, can you get a directory listing of Z: in Xy4?)