Re: Xy and Eudora [also DDE and Netscape]

At 08:45 AM 1/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am using XW and Eudora under Windows95. It works quite
nicely because you
>can cut and paste easily between the two.

Then you must have found a way to automate the creation of
ascii files for mailing through Eudora. XW, unlike other
word processors, does not convert text files back and forth;
one must load mail.prn or ascii.prn and print to disk to
prepare the file (after cutting out/replacing format codes),
and then call it up in Eudora to remove page breaks before
mailing; and incoming files called up in XW must be combed
for line feeds. I don't understand why TTG doesn't just
provide an automated format for this, as Wordperfect & Word
do.

And Eudora has memory headroom problems. I'm using Eudora
Pro 2.1.2 in Win3.11, and it limits the size of its embedded
text files to notepad's limit. If one does not wish to
encode a file, then putting it in the mail message is the
only way to do it in Eudora.

 I am trying to determine if
>Eudora supports DDE or intends to do so.

Qualcomm just announced its 32-bit version. Perhaps it has
what you're looking for.

 If so, then one could developed
>powerful programs in XW to manipulate Eudora and automate
mailing tasks. [I
>am currently quite excited about progress I am making using
DDE in XW to
>automate tasks with Netscape!]..

Maybe you can figure out something more mundane -- how to
get XW files to drag-and-drop into print manager. I fiddled
with regedit to fool Windows into thinking that .xy4 was a
printable association, but still could not print XW files by
dragging them to print manager. TTG tells me that XW
doesn't support this feature -- is there a way to do it with
DDE?

>Stephen Shaw
>sshaw@xxxxxxxx
>
>>    Does anyone have advice for using Xy4 with Eudora
to do email?
>>    I have had problems with the methods I've tried so
far.
>>    Ideally, I'd like to use Eudora only to pick up
and send the mail,
>>with Xy4DOS (in a DOS box under Win95) used for everything
else.
>>    TIA,
>>    Harry
>>
>>  Harry Binswanger