Re: OT diagnostic diskette

--- ac127  wrote:

> Hi, somebody knows a good diagnostic single-floppy
> software able to
> identify a pc hardware (cpu, ports ram, usb etc..)
>

> Thanks !

Depends how detailed you need it to be. I used to use
AMIDIAG, from AMI / American Megatrends (the chip &
BIOS maker), until they hiked the price way beyond
what casual, private users were willing to pay.
(Later versions were mandatory, because of ongoing
changes to CPUs, video, etc.)

Now I mostly use the freeware PCI program, which has
versions for Win, OS/2, *and* DOS. I'm sure the
latter must fit easily on a floppy. It queries your
hardware, and tells you the official mfr. (and
sometimes who the *real* mfr. is, as well), in many
cases down to the onboard chip level. This is all
dependent on a separate database file, which gets
updated periodically. The db file that is distributed
together with the program file(s) is usually well out
of date, so it is worth seeking out a later one for
separate download. I can supply links for you if
Google does not suffice, or even send you the files
directly if necessary.  They probably don't amount to
a large xfer, unless you are using dialup &/or have
little e-mailbox space.

Jordan