Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Russ,

In many cases, Vim might be a good solution. It is truely
cross-platform. For complex Xy file editing, a syntax coloring scheme
might be useful and could perhaps be accomplished in Vim (as I and Carl
have done for EditPad Pro). I personally have used EditPad Pro as an
alternative editor for large Xy files. It has perhaps a lower learning
curve than Vim. Still it boasts many remarkable qualities like support
for very large files, excellent handling of character sets (DOS,
Windows, etc.), custom screen fonts, clip collections, macros, etc.

You are right, there are many great tools already available.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

Ultimately, for me, the answer was Vim. People like, use and swear by Vim for many of the same reasons that i liked XY. I approached the learning curve for Vim (not unlike the learning curve for Xy) with the notion that i would eventually port my favorite xlp scripts to Vim. I ended up not having to do that as there was/is already a gazillion scripts, plugins, etc. Vim is alreafy cross platform, and i can even use a version on my iPhone! Vim, in addition to its own scripting language, vimscript, has support for scriptiing in python, perl, lua, etc. As i've seen some very complex script/plugins done for Vim, I would think a configuration script to make Vim more Xy like would be accessible and doable for novice programmers.