Re: Xy & Ansi

In my previous message about being cheated by NB, there was a typo in one
sentence that made it incomprehensible. It should have read:

They were not interested in the fact that they had wasted more of my time than
it took to produce (automatically) the NB driver spacing tables from those I
provided them because they were too lazy to call HP themselves.

I might add that it was the printer driver "expert" at NB who told me that the
spacing tables would be automatically produced from those provided by the
manufacturer.

I have been told several times that the tech support people were just too busy
to help many users. The answer to that is simple. If you don't sell beta
versions of programs as finished versions, and make sure the manuals before you
go to market, tech support can spend more of its time with people whose
problems can be solved only that way.

I wish Mr. Siebert well, although I will never even think about being his
customer. I hope that he has learned something from the debacle of NB. The
sunny PR message I received from him last week, with no indication that there
was anything from the past to apologize for, left that less than clear.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325