Re: Mass removal of Archive bits

** Reply to message from "Myron Gochnauer"  on Tue, 2 Mar 2004
09:07:31 -0400

> I haven't followed all of the postings on this topic, although I did
> download RH's utility. (It works fine with Win2K.)

> I'm not sure why any of this was necessary. When I want to change the
> attributes of all the files in a subdirectory, I just use Windows Explorer.

First of all, we're not talking about files, we're talking about directories --
ONLY. XyWrite has no problem with archived files -- in fact, XyWrite turns
_on_ the archive bit when it saves a file. Second, I'm not sure why your (to
my mind laborious) procedure is better, when a simple DOS command does the
whole job, boom. Third, in NT, how do you get Explorer to change the archive
bit of the _root_ directory and "all subfolders and files"? I don't see that
option -- and anyway, although the option does exist for subdirectories below
the root, we don't _want_ to put the archive bit on all files -- only on
directories. That's the tricky part. Fourth, if you've got 6,270 directories
on C: alone, as I do, one simple DOS BATch file is the fastest, most economical
alternative, by far -- wouldn't you agree? If I don't want to slam the archive
bit on all files, then I'd have to use Explorer 6,270 times!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx