XyDos 4.17 arrives

I faxed an order for the upgrade to XyDos v4.17 on August 17, and it
arrived by air mail on August 22. Not bad.

The install to an HPFS partition under OS/2 generally went O.K.,
although I did have a small "Grrrrr." For whatever reason, although
the install process replaced a bunch of files, like *.dfl, *.int,
*.mnu, and so forth, editor.exe remained unchanged. When I started
XyWrite again I was still running v4.12. I had to uninstall Orbis
first, before the v4.17 editor.exe would install properly. Strange.

Four installs later (grrr), I now have v4.17 up and running and Orbis
updated and everything seems fine. I have a heavy schedule the next
few days, which will mean v4.17 will get a good workout.

I must say that the combination of XyDos, Orbis, and the Random House
Electronic Dictionary is incredibly useful for translating. Without
offering something similar, I'm unlikely to find other word processors
very attractive, although I'm as susceptible to the siren calls of
word processors with new tricks as the next person.

Dan Kanagy     Work: wordwise@xxxxxxxx    Play: dkanagy@xxxxxxxx
Tokyo, Japan                       dkanagy@xxxxxxxx