Re: Interface with Atex

Jim Franklin wrote:
>Has anyone used WordMover software, which appears to be another
>Atex/XyWrite relative. What I really want to know is whether it's possible
>to use XyWrite macros under WordMover. My newspaper uses the software on
>bureau terminals and on a handfull of laptops. Friends who have to use
>those packages are asking about using some XyWrite III Plus macros I wrote
>to smooth conversions between Atex and XyW, but so far I haven't found
>enough documentation to know whether it's possible to execute the programs.
>Thanks for any leads.

>Oh, yeah, I forgot. A preliminary Web search indicates WordMover was a
>product of ComputerEase. I'm not sure, but it appears ComputerEase may
>have ended operations...

>Finally, my own paper is talking about replacing WordMover with a Lotus
>Notes-based front end for bureaus. But it's hard for mere end users to get
>enough information to know what that will really be like.

Hmnn. Interesting. When I was head of systems at The Daily Telegraph the
software being introduce on PCs was called WRITER. This was Atex buying in
XyWrite from its former employees and adding certain functionality to
interface with Atex. If I remember correctly it had, for example, extra
fields in the header which transferred to Atex (what I suppose we call in
XyWin Document Info). Thus it had all the functionality of XyWrite - being
able to use the programming language - but moved seamlessly to the Atex system.

Does Atex still exist? I heard that it had been through a few changes but
it certainly produced newspapers well and spawned XyWrite, so it would be a
real shame if it has gone. I still have the huge Atex subs keyboard which I
would love to use if I could find out how to get support ten years later...

Paul Williams