Re: NB...BB blocks that did break and shouldn't

Further on the matter of styles for headings to prevent them
from staying on the last line of a page, Kenneth Frank's
message of yesterday took several minutes and some
experimentation to penetrate my noggin. To bring the matter up
to date:

To formulate a style for second-level headings that makes a heading
invisibly begin a non-breakable block of 3 lines,

will NOT do it but

will. The angle brackets stand for guillemets.

The "text" feature following the semicolon in a style (CR
4-165) opens all sorts of other intriguing possibilities, which
various subscribers will no doubt convey to the list forthwith.

I hope this replies to Carl di Stefano's objection. What the corrected
procedure above does is to embed the NB command automatically and invisibly.
Since the "NBn" command only works for a set number of lines, you would only
want to use it in a one-line heading, where NB3 would shift it to the next
page if it is in either of the last 2 lines on a given page.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3325, U.S.A.