XYWRITE DEVEL

NA-> Allan Needell:

NA-> Alan,

NA-> You write: >> I wouldn't mind an app that could use Windows resources
 -> generally but had access to the crisp quick DOS character-mode screen.
 -> GUI screens are cool for a lot of things, but they're slow, too, and
 -> burdensome when all I want to do is write.<<

NA-> Have you tried XyWIN 4.12? I use it just as you describe. Others have
 -> complained that the screen font that xywin uses in either "draft-edit"
 -> or "expanded mode" is difficult or unpleasing to work in, but I find it
 -> quite acceptable.

NA-> In any case, using either of those non WYSIWYG modes, I find the
 -> performance of xywin for writing inditinguishable from notabene 4.x
 -> (which is essentially equivalent to xydos 3.x).As they say, be careful
 -> what yo u wish for, you may get it (or in your case find its been
 -> available for some time).

Even in the various graphic modes, Xywin is pretty snappy. It
takes only a second or two to load a 2-meg file--much faster than
other word processors. Also, in terms of programs running with
the display off, Xywin seems just as fast as its DOS
counterparts.

I suppose the rule of thumb would be that if one has enough
resources to run Windows, Xywin will do well.

But I do look forward to (1) alternatives to the present expanded
mode font and (2) a flow chart (***HEY! TECH
SUPPORT!***) of its DLG file. To be able to cut and paste only
those portions of its DLG that I (or anyone) intend to use
without a lot of guesswork and bother to find out what's really
necessary would truly make Xywin unique.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx