Re: Memory problems--Carl?

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Tue, 20 Sep
2011 13:03:27 -0400

> I'm having memory problems with one of my large programs. What
> tools does U2 have for helping me see what's taking up the
> memory, and for dealing with this?

How large are we talking about? That could be your problem right
there. If your code is very long, try breaking the routine into
smaller discrete operations -- separate PMs that can be RUN one at a
time.

If the routine really has to work as an integral PM, issue
KILLMEM, to free up available S/G memory, before you RUN
the PM.

Hard to say more without seeing the code. There may be one flawed
operation that's causing the whole thing to tank. Or you may have to
rethink the design from scratch. I assume you're routinely using
frames IFEI, SYNTAX and RELABEL to check for rudimentary errors.
XRAY and XPOLL will display Save/Get contents while the PM is
RUNning and immediately after it EXits. Viewing the contents of S/Gs
can help to visualize errors that are hard to catch just by
inspecting the code.

Hope this helps.

--
Carl Distefano