Re: OT: W98-related question

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> Are you sure it's opsys and not hardware-related?
> Because I seem to recall that other cases of
> "full-screen" apps coming up in smaller windows were
> related to the larger size and higher resolution of
> modern monitors.

Hi Priscilla,

That is certainly possible. However, I have observed
this behavior on numerous desktop and laptop systems.
No exceptions, in fact. So it is something standard
now.

> kind of direct write to hardware that it used to do
> under real DOS. But W2K, with its more "ring-walled"
> VDM, won't let it do that, and the whole thing
> fails.
> Could something similar be affecting your Freecell?

That's possible too. I wouldn't write off the
game-emulator modules idea too quickly though, absent
some experimentation. There are ones that will run
even ancient Commodore, Atari, etc. titles.

In the meantime, I found these items online, which I'd
like to check out as soon as time permits.

  http://www.solitairelaboratory.com/fcfaq.html
       (FreeCell Pro)

  http://home.comcast.net/~ammaxamma/Cards.htm
       (alternate Cards.DLL)