Re: Are software firewalls necessary--off topic

Robert wrote:
Sure, because once it's "inside", it is privileged -- how does a firewall
prevent it from communicating? How distinguish it from a legit program's
communication?

The trick is not to let it get inside in the first place. The only way it can
get in is if you bring it in (excepting if some bug in router firmware).

I think those programs _are_ incredibly irritating, and I don't use them. But
that's not a recommendation. The router works for me.
Thanks. I've had no problem so far with router plus Norton Anti-Virus
(except that I can't get the automatic scheduling thing to do the scans daily).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx