Re: DOS v Win encoding

** Reply to message from Wolfgang Bechstein
 on Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:50:21 +0900

Wolfgang:

> 932 (this is the local Japanese, _not_ 942)

Quite so. Slip of the finger.

> it now seems as if ... UTF-16 is the native
> format, as in other versions of Windows

That's more credible. That's the native Unicode standard for
NT5+. Now, can you tell me what exactly it is that you want to
do with texts, and with Clip? You are using XyWrite IV,
correct? You are using it mainly in CodePage 850 (or 437),
correct? You want to go from Xy4 to UTF-16, and stay there? Is
that it? And you want to convert back from UTF-16 to 850/437?
Because although Clip is designed mainly to translate between
two SBCS (single-byte characters sets), internally Clip
translates to and from Unicode (DBCS and even higher, because
single-byte sources would never go any higher than double-byte
but Clip is now capable of translating the extended Speedo set,
and that requires up to 4 bytes per character).

The latest version of Clip (which is experimental, aimed mainly
at translating from Xy4 to NBWin, and unfinished, although I use
it every day) can output the DBCS UTF-16 string to a file. The
thing is, only specialized applications can do anything with
UTF-16 texts. You can encode it for a browser, which is a
different matter; but the raw stuff is too hot for most apps to
handle. You are sure that you have appropriate apps?

R.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx