ASCII zeroes

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:01:17 -0500
>
> > I have another question.
> >
> > I am putting a variable into the text and i get a "null"(ascii 0) at the
> > back of the number that is inserted.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks much
> >
> > Wib
>
> You're GT-ing the text. Try PV-ing it instead. Or vice versa. If it's a
> numeric variable, then PV it; if it's text, GT it. What version of XyWrite are
> you using? Are you sure that you're getting an Ascii-0? How do you know?
> XyWrite usually discards Ascii-0s when it saves to disk, and you can't see
> Ascii-0 (unless you alter your screen font), and you can't (ordinarily) SEarch
> for Ascii-0 -- so how do you know it's Ascii-0?

Robert,

Happy New Year to you!

I just created a test file in 4.17 for DOS. I entered an ascii-zero with
alt+shift+0 from the numerical keypad. As you noted, I couldn't see it,
(my screen is standard-issue light grey on blue)
but when I went to the command line and entered se |alt+shift+0| the
cursor placed itself directly after the place where I had keyboarded it.

I then moved on to the dos prompt. From

C:\XY4:>

I entered this command:

type test