Printing XyWrite 3+ Under OS2Warp

To all replying re my problem, thanx. The first suggestion from
RWoods@xxxxxxxx (Robert Woods), that I add /IRQ, worked great.
I had seen that tech recommendation many times in manuals, mags,
 etc., but heretofore the problems mentioned were no printing
 or slow printing. My printer worked fine; my CPU froze up. So I
added the IRQ part to printer sys line in config.sys and presto,
the files are flying through.

So what did I lose by locking up IRQ 7 with my printer? Will this
move hurt me somewhere else? If anyone knows of a downside, pls
let me know.

If adding the IRQ setting works so well, why did IBM move to
polling anyway?

Re to David Auerbach and Harmon F. Seaver and any others
interested in the possible conflict between IRQ 7 printer setting
and sound card: I assume
I am OK since (A) my files now print fine and my computer frees
up immediately; (B) my SB16 card has IRQ 5 and DMA 1 and 5. (I
dread the day dealing with IRQs when I try to reconnect my
scanner, however.)

Re other advice: I can only assume I must not have inverted IRQ
sensing (or it doesn't matter for me) and I must have a good
25-pin cable.

Also, I did not compute on the suggestion that I chk
``settings.dfl'' re LPT1.OS2. I am using XYwrite 3+. Such
settings don't exist in 3+, cq? Only in 4? or Win?

Thanx.

pienciak@xxxxxxxx (Richard T. Pienciak)