Re: Win 7 64 bit

Harry,
As I understand it, Win 7 Pro or above includes some version of XP to provide the compatibility. Perhaps someone who has the Pro version can correct me if I am wrong. In my case, I replaced an old Dell desktop with a new Dell, and the new Dell accepted the XP "reinstall" disk that came with the old Dell. VMWare Player allows you to set up space (both ram and hard disk) to run other operating systems within it. So, on my new wide-screen monitor I can have my Win 7 machine on the left and XP (and/or Ubuntu) running on the right within VMWare Player, allowing me to drag and drop between them and much more. VMWare has utilities that allow the OSs running within it to use printer, scanner, network connection, etc., from the host machine (Win 7). So far, this has worked flawlessly for me. For example, I am a NotaBene user (have version 9 on the XP machine and beta of version 10 on Win 7) and can keep files created/edited on one of those sync with the files on the other automatically using Dropbox. This is because the indexing modules for the bibliography and text manipulation parts of NotaBene -- yes, I'm very dependent on them -- are still being developed. I just try to make sure that I don't edit the same file simultaneously in both versions. So far, it has worked without a glitch. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Bill