Monitoring keystrokes

  I have written a program that monitors the keystrokes in XY3 in order to
indicate on the command line what the expanded form is of the letter
pressed. For instance if I press "l" it will show "will", if I key in
"li"
it will show "like". However, the stange thing is that the cursor keys no
longer function. Is this to be expected and will it also be the case in Xy4?
What can one do to counteract it? This program does not work in Xy4 as some
of the code does not produce the same result.

  Sorry I cannot partake in the discussions on Latin and the finer points
of the English language. At high school I had a choice between Latin and
accounting and I am not sorry I chose the latter: at least it enables me to
monitor my finances. I would like to say that the ability to speak well does
not necessarily mean that you will be able to write well or that if you can
think clearly, you will be able to replicate it on paper. Sometimes it takes
me an hour or more to write down a thought in its most precise and condensed
form.