Re: Off-topic: X la franXaise

Reply to note from Patricia M Godfrey  Mon, 22
Sep 2003 11:31:54 -0400

> "IRC" ( a blend of  `keyboard,' and
>  `chattering').

Department of Weird Coincidences: When this arrived, I was in the
middle of the chapter in "The Bonfire of the Vanities" that
describes a dinner party of the frozen-smile, empty-chitchat
variety, hosted by Mr. & Mrs. Bavardage.

Reminds me of the time a friend of mine, a writer, mentioned out of
the blue how he could never remember what "rebarbative" meant. An
hour later the word pops up in the novel I'm reading on the way
home. (Something by A.S. Byatt -- was it "The Matisse Stories"?)

Side note re the Subject header of this message (which appears above
as received here, and as reported at XySearch): At least one
subscriber's mail server bounced the entire message because the
header included accented characters. Others X'ed out the high-order
characters, as above. C'est la guerre.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx