Re: Intellectual property & copyright

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> Ooops--a grammar typo in my post. Make that:
>
> Yes, and any idea that stands, rather than falls or floats away, is to the
> credit of the individual who originated it.

Quite so.

> Also, I second Leslie's sentiments. True, not *every* person advocating
> collectivized property is uncreative and a parasite, but I don't think he
> said that.

I didn't. I was speaking about the person Patricia mentioned (and with
whom she didn't agree) who felt that some day the idea of intellectual
property would be the equivalent of slavery. And that is all.

> However, the issue is not really what are people's motives, but
> a philosophic one about individualism vs. collectivism.

That's what I meant.

> Does an individualist contradict himself by using freeware and other gifts?
> No, unless he demands such thing as his by right.

Exactly. I have some XPL programs that I gladly and freely give to my
editorial colleagues at other university presses. If, however (and I
cannot imagine this happening) Ellsworth Toohey in his "one small voice"
were to e-mail me stating that he "understood" I was distributing XPL
programs to _some_ university presses but not to him, and demanded I
supply them to him, I would swiftly tell him to get lost. Unfortunately,
thanks to the arcane rules of the IRS, I cannot hand out this XPL to
freelance copyeditors, as I once wanted to do, lest they claim they are
a "fulltime" employee of Columbia University Press and demand health
benefits. So I was forced to "sell" her the suite of XPLs for $1.00.
(There is _apparently_ a case in which a freelancer arrived in the
office of one of her clients, borrowed a pencil, corrected some copy on
site, handed in the job, and then subsequently sued for health benefits,
etc. etc. because she had worked in the office and used their
"equipment." A judge apparently reluctantly had to rule in her favor.)

> I selfishly enjoy helping
> people use XyWrite, for example. I like people who use Xy, and I enjoying
> explaining things to the "clueful" (vs. the clueless). But if anyone
> claimed it was my moral duty to spend n hours per week helping XyWriters,
> or anyone else, I'd rebel.

Of course you would! I am always being asked at parties, etc. "Leslie
you're an editor . . . " and then ask spelling or grammatical advice. I
simply say, "I don't give away for free what I get paid to do." But I do
not charge one client who has a Holocaust research program.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)