Re: U2 version 119

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Mon, 09
Jan 2006 00:41:34 -0500

> There may--or may not--be a clue in my earlier response to
> Patricia:

Yes, I thought the same thing.

> There is a settings.dfl deep in
> xy4\pictures\orig that has an sl=50. I don't know what orig is or
> where it came from but it has a handful of old settings files, a
> startup and a kbd; maybe I created it as a place to hide
> superceded things and forgot about it, maybe

OK, I think you can DELete those files. Clearly, they're not called by
STARTUP.INT, never referred to, so dump them.

So let's assume that you have set XyWrite's own variables consistently for 25
lines -- it sounds like you've done that. (If you did nothing [set nothing],
they would be ScreenLength=25, ScreenWidth=80 -- the built-in starting points
or "defaults".) Let's henceforth desist entirely from launching XyWrite via
Start ==> Run; that's not a good procedure. The Properties attached to a
Desktop Shortcut give you a great deal of flexibility, so use the Shortcut
instead!

It seems to me that the 25-line Window Size (and Screen Buffer) Height in those
Properties hasn't really "taken" or "stuck". So do this: create one of those
DIR displays where your cursor disappears out of sight below the bottom of the
(25-line) screen. Alt-Enter so that XyWrite is running (if it isn't already)
in a Desktop Window. Does the screen actually display 25 lines, or more?
Command: VA/NV SL and *also* VA/NV $SL (add dollar sign in the second
command). Do *both* commands return "25"? They should. Now click on the
window's little upper-left icon. Down at the bottom of the context menu that
results you should see two entries: Defaults and Properties. I want you to
check the "Layout" tab in *both* of these dialogs: are all Heights set to 25?
If one or more aren't 25, change them to 25, then "Apply" and answer "Yes" if
queried as to whether to make this "Permanent" for ALL sessions, not just the
current session. Then close XyWrite and relaunch (from the Shortcut icon).
Check again: are all Heights still set to 25?

Preparatory to getting printing to work, get a *fresh copy* of POSTGHST.PRN
dated 6 Sept 2005:
 http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/postghst.zip
(also at:)
 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/postghst.zip