Mouse under XP

I wonder if anyone has had encountered this problem. My mouse does not work
normally when I use XYWrite 4.16 in a dos/command window (running in
Windows XP, Home Edition). Its behavior is decidedly impaired. On the one
hand, I can position the text cursor using it, but doing so sometimes turns
on the select mode, sometimes not. On the other hand, I cannot reliably
select text using it. The highlight feature of text selection does not work
at all, even if text is in fact selected.
To eliminate some of the more obvious explanations I have tried or observed
the following:
1. I switched from my Dell mouse to an optical Logitech trackball. No
difference.
2. When I use alt-enter to go into full screen mode, the problem goes away!
But I hate the full-screen mode.
3. I have tried various mouse settings; nothing works.
4. The hardware works fine with most other dos programs--MS Word 5 and 6 for DOS, e.g. Same with WordPerfect. That's fine, but XYWrite4 is the program I like the most (I must have been one of the last to purchase it--Feb. 2001, if I remember correctly; by the time I was ready to buy the windows edition, the Technology Group had folded).
5. I un-installed Tame 4.4 and tried it again; no effect.
6. The same setup runs fine in Windows 95 in a dos window (on my laptop).
7. I altered the cursor settings so that I could replace the standard windows cursor with a regular mouse cursor (i.e. a cursor that I can use to position the text cursor). But it does not work reliably until I turn off the windows cursor, using the properties menu. Even then I can only see it when it assumes the form of a blinking cursor. The drawback is that I find myself mistaking it for the text cursor.)

Anyone out there experienced this problem?

Robert Grigg
rjgrigg@xxxxxxxx