RE: Off topic: Need cheap new laptop, any suggestions?

I stopped by a computer store run by an independent entrepreneur across the
way from Eastern Michigan University. He had "refurbished" Dell and HP
laptops for $250, $300, up to $500. Each has a 60-day warranty.

I get the impression there is an active market computer nerds have created
for used computers.

As far as I can tell, these machines work just fine.

-----Original Message----- From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of flash Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:33 AM To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Off topic: Need cheap new laptop, any suggestions? Lisa, I would second everything Patricia wrote about laptops (importance of keyboard, monitor size, etc.), and add only this: the current generation of very compact laptops (some of which are purse-sized), save space by not only eliminating the CD-ROM drive, but also ports such as COMM1, external video, modem, cable Ethernet, and so on. The MacBook Air, for example, has audio out and a single USB port and that's about it; everything else must be attached via a USB hub to the one on-board USB port, or reachable via wireless LAN. So make a quick inventory what external devices a new laptop must be able to communicate with, and check that any prospective new machine has the necessary port(s). Cheers,