Re: Editing .exe and .com files -Reply

>One trick I've used.... you can use Windows Write to look at/examine
>EXE files. Just open the file, specify NO conversion to Wrndows Write
>format, and there you go. I've used it to snoop around the XyWrite EXE
>files on days when I don't have much of a life :) In the past, I've
>discovered some undocumented function calls and command line
>commands this way.

A really handy little utility for doing this (or looking at any
file, directory, etc, and manipulating files and directories) is
the public domain DM.COM -- also found under the name DIRMAGIC. You can read any
file, including .exe or .com, it's simple and small and put out
by PC-MAG a few years ago. It's public domain, I could upload it
or encode it if anyone wanted it. You can't edit them with it,
but I've never had much luck using anything to do that without
using something like a SoftIce or other cracking tool --- and
even then I usually screw it up.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!

=============
Microsoft Network, or any service owned in full or in part by
Microsoft, is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form, in whole or in part.
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this
post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or
equivalent local currency.
Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these
terms. Please send notices of violation to hseaver@xxxxxxxx
and postmaster@xxxxxxxx.