Re: Expanded memory

On 23 Jun 2000, at 19:42, Judith Davidsen wrote:

> It was me whose Xywrite memory properties says "The computer is not
> configured for expanded memory in MS-Dos sessions. Details: Third-party
> memory-managment software has not been configured for expanded memory.
> Consult the product documentation for instructions on how to enable
> expanded memory."
>
> On Sunday, June 18, Robert Orndorff made the following suggestion about
> expanded memory:
>
> "If you have a CONFIG.SYS file, add the following two lines to the very top
> of the file........"
>
> device=c:\windows\command\himem.sys
> device=c:\windows\command\emm386.exe auto
>
> "Once you make the changes, then reboot, and then you have expanded memory
> support!"
>
> In today's message, Orndorff says:
>
> "My old suggestion should still work, although it is redundant in Win98.
>
> "Chances are that this person can rename (backup, delete) the CONFIG.SYS
> file so Windows doesn't see it anymore, and everything should work.
>
> "They could also "rem" out the himem.sys and emm386.exe lines of the
> config.sys."
>
> The way I read this, I should add the lines to config.sys and then rem them
> out, or add the lines to config.sys and then hide config.sys from Windows
> by backing itup and deleting the original. Is this correct?

Not exactly.....
adding the lines and then "rem" ing them out is like doing nothing.
Likewise, adding the lines and then hiding the config.sys.

What I suspect, based on your error message, is that you already have
the two lines in your config.sys file and the line that contains:
device=c:\windows\command\emm386.exe [etc...]
has some parameter set that excludes expanded memory on your
computer. One possible parameter is "noems".

What I posted last week is what Win98 does by default if there is no
config.sys, so adding those lines makes no difference (the redundant
part), provided that they are exactly as I posted.

Your options are (choose only one):
1) Rename your config.sys so windows doesn't see it, this allows
Windows to set up memory per its default. Chances are you don't need
a config.sys file.

2) rem out the existing Device=himem and device=emm386 lines in your
config.sys like this:
rem device=c:\windows\command\himem.sys
rem device=c:\windows\command\emm386.exe auto

3) Make the device=himem and device=emm386 lines look exactly like
my posting from last week. (like #2 without the "rem")

4) Post the contents of your config.sys file here so I (and others) could
make a suggestion as to how to change it. This takes a lot of the
guesswork out the whole issue.

I recommend #4.

--
-Robert Orndorff